Go-to Lunch: The Perfect Soft Boiled Egg

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Since I started my current job last summer I have been working from home 3 to 4 days a week.  It took me awhile to get in a groove with my lunch routine but I have finally got it mostly down.  One of my favorites tricks is the key to the perfect soft boiled egg, which I first discovered courtesy of Hither & Thither.


I have always loved poached eggs and can never get them right at home.  While this is not exactly the same, it yields a similarly wonderful soft yolk and the method is so quick and easy. 


It is perfect for topping pasta, a frisee salad, a mess of black beans, a bowl of rice or really anything that could benefit from a runny egg yolk (which is almost everything in my opinion). An egg also adds the perfect hit of protein and texture to transform something light and simple into a meal.


Most often, I just throw one on top of a slice of buttered wheat toast with salt, pepper and a little hot sauce.  When I plan ahead and have an avocado or some slow-roasted tomatoes to throw in the mix it is all the better. I hope you'll give this a try at any hour of the day when you have six and a half minutes to spare.  If you do, I'm confident you'll find even more excuses to top dishes with the incredible, edible egg!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try this! I am definitely in a breakfast for dinner phase at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite ways to poach an egg is to use V8 for the cooking liquid. Soft-boiled with hot sauce sounds like a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete

happy little lark All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger