Julia's advice for the young hostess

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today would have been Julia Child's 100th birthday and, as a result, hilairious and insipring quotes and anecdotes from her life are being shared all over the web. My favorite, via The Kitchn, follows below:

"The young hostess should be advised never to say anything about what she serves, in the way of 'Oh, I don't know how to cook, and this may be awful,' or 'poor little me,' or 'this didn't turn out' ... etc. etc. It is so dreadful to have to reassure one's hostess that everything is delicious, whether or not it is.  I make it a rule, no matter what happens, never to say one word, though it kills me.  Maybe the cat has fallen in the stew, or I have put the lettuce out the window and it has frozen, or the meat is not quite done ... Grit one's teeth and smile." - excerpt from a letter to her friend, Avis, on January 19, 1953.

This is advice that totally speaks to me as someone that has a tendency towards self-deprecation when it comes to cooking/hosting, like this cake disaster I had when prepping for our 4th of July party that went from this:


to this:


The cake fell apart out of the pan and after an initial moment of panic, I decided to make a mixed berry trifle with fresh whipped cream instead.  Everyone loved it but I still felt the need to explain what had happened.  No more!  I will keep this advice in mind in the future and be brave and confident in my culinary offerings.  That charmingly unapologetic nature is definitely at the heart of what made Julia such a beloved figure.  I have yet to cook from the famous Mastering the Art of French Cooking but her vigor and humor inspire me nonetheless.

Today is also my dear friend Katie's birthday, another person who inspires me to be a better version of myself. Happy birthday to two very special ladies!

1 comments:

happy little lark All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger