Notes from the weekend

Monday, October 22, 2012

The weekend was a very laid back one, so laid back that I barely took any pictures!  As I mentioned on Friday, we had a few friends over for brunch and football, which did give me the excuse to try something that had been in the back of my mind for awhile:

Originally spotted here
I can now attest that taking store-bought Pillsbury crescent rolls and adding Nutella before rolling and baking them up is a really good idea, as if there were any doubt.  They are best when warm, so definitely pop them quickly in the toaster oven if they cool down too much before serving to get them all crunchy and oozy again.

This little guy surprised me with a flower
Sunday was a very relaxed and cozy day.  We read in bed for a few hours, snuggled up under quilts, which is definitely something we need to do more often. I also made a pot of Marcella Hazan's famous tomato sauce, which is spectacular and can be made from ingredients that I normally have around the house.  I was originally introduced to it by Molly, but I know it is rather famous around the web.  Three ingredients (not including the salt) lead to a burbling pot of sauce the perfumes the house with a homey, wonderful smell. The recipe follows below.

Deceptively simple but so delicious - Greg licked his bowl!
Adapted from Orangette
What you need:
  • 1 28-oz can of whole, peeled plum tomatoes with their juices (San Marzano if you can find them - no herbs or anything else added.  I used a can of chopped tomatoes since that was all  I had on hand and it worked out great!)
  • 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
  • Salt, to taste
How to make it:
 
Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter, and the onion halves in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.  Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat and continue to cook, uncovered, at a very slow but steady simmer, for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float to the surface. Stir occasionally, breaking up the large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon as you go. Taste and salt as needed.
 
Remove the onion halves and toss with pasta.  This makes enough for about 1 pound of pasta.  One quick note I want to add is that it always pains me to discard the onion because it is so lovely and stewy after simmering in this sauce, but I have not yet figured out a good use for it after this process.

I hope you all had wonderful weekends and happy Monday!

2 comments:

happy little lark All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger