The Weepies

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I fell in love with The Weepies the same year I fell in love with Greg.  I discovered the band first but the two are nonetheless very tied in my mind.

via
They were one of those happy Pandora discoveries where one song lead to albums of songs just as good and even better.  The song that started things was Hideaway, which is the title song over their third album.  While it will always have a special place in my heart, my favorite of their albums is actually Say I Am You, and more specifically, the song Gotta Have You.

via
I have this very specific memory of listening to that song.  It's funny how that happens, isn't it?  It wasn't the first nor certainly the last time I heard it and yet it was the time that stuck.  I was in my little studio apartment, drinking a cold glass of white wine with my feet up on the sill of an open window watching an early evening rain over my fire escape and the rooftops of Dupont beyond it.  I just remember feeling so happy and hopeful in that moment and it still makes me smile to think of it.  That song really captured how I felt over those first few months that Greg and I were together and still does nearly three years later.

I even love the story behind the band.  The Weepies are a two person band made up  of Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, who first admired each others' music, then started working together, and then fell in love. They have a mellow, quirky, folk-indie pop sound that I just adore and definitely recommend to you. 

1 comments:

  1. I love the Weepies too! Love the image of you in your old apartment. What a great single girl spot :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little lark All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger