Quelqu'un m'a dit

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Since studying is the main thing on the agenda this week, I thought I'd share something else tied to fond memories that helps me relax when studying: Carla Bruni's album, Quelqu'un m'a dit, which translates to "Someone told me."

I was introduced to Carla Bruni, well before she was the first lady of France, by my wonderful Spanish host mother, Elena when I was studying abroad in Valencia, Spain in the Fall of 2005.  How is that for international?  Discovering an Italian who sings in French while living in Spain?  My host mother was a retired French teacher and the album was the permanent resident of the kitchen stereo.  Elena listened to it as she cooked and I got into the habit of listening to it as I did my homework at the kitchen table, including several late nights agonizing over lengthy Spanish literature papers.

via
I normally can't listen to music as I study or write because it jumbles up my head, but this album is an exception.  I think that the fact that I don't speak French and (7 years later) still don't understand exactly what each song is about is definitely part of it, but it is more than that. Carla Bruni's style is very soothing.  She has a beautiful voice, which is accompanied by minimal but lovely instrumentals and each song flows perfectly into the next.  Like Lapsang Souchung tea, Quelqu'un m'a dit always brings me back to place of comfort through happy memories of that kitchen table in Valencia.  It is a favorite even when I'm not crashing on something and I definitely recommend you give it a listen as well!

2 comments:

  1. excellent! I am always looking for music recommendations, listening to it now on Spotify.

    ReplyDelete

happy little lark All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger